GitBook is a modern documentation platform. Our ambition is to empower technical teams by seamlessly integrating knowledge management into their existing asynchronous workflows. We're a fully remote who are building the future of work, inside and outside of our organization.
You will be joining during a pivotal moment for GitBook. We've enjoyed great success since we were founded, and now we're taking conscious steps to take our company to the next level.
That means you will have the opportunity to build, positively impact the trajectory of the company and enjoy the benefits of helping grow our company 20x.
📈 We have close to 25,000 sign-ups per month and 10% revenue growth month-over-month
🤝 Used by over 2M users and thousands of teams such as Adobe, Netflix, Apple, Snyk, and Google
💼 Backed by top partners such as P9 Capital, Notion Capital and Fly VC
🗺️ Amazing in over 15 countries across North America, Europe and Asia
We are searching for a person with a technical profile and experience in presenting a category creating developer tool in a way that would attract technical teams to use it. Typically, you would have a background as a DevRel, technical content marketer, community builder or a software creator with outstanding presentation and story-telling skills. The technical teams using our product will mostly be in a startup and corporate environment. Our documentation platform is expected to be part of their preferred development stack for collaborating on projects from ideation to shipping.
As the first hire for this role, it's likely you'll wear many hats and you should be comfortable taking ownership and showing initiative. The success of your team relies on your ability to grow this function at the company. Here's how you could do that:
- Drive adoption of our product as a useful tool in the developer workflow
- Raise awareness of the product as the best place for open source documentation
- Build and scale a community around the culture of documentation
- Identify and build relationships with creators of open source projects
- Organize and execute on developer events, including hackathons and conferences
- Animate the developer community around the product, collect feedback, and interact with core product teams
- Contribute to our public documentation and other content initiatives around the product
- Researching, building and scaling GitBook's first dev community
- Outreach to open source project creators and onboarding their docs onto our platform
- Encouraging open source devs to create third party components for the GitBook marketplace
- Collating customer feedback and competitor research to help the product team better serve a developer audience
- Host, sponsor and participate in developer events that improve GitBook's standing in the open source community
- Assist and/or lead product webinars catering to developer usecase of the product
- being a developer at heart with a good understanding of the ways, needs, and likes of the developer community.
- your existing standing or participation in open source communities
- your fondness for open-source and open-core software, but pragmatism about licensing.
- excellent communication skills, with a talent for explaining complex topics in a simple and accurate way.
- being on top of social media, dev tools and community building tools
- your familiarity with sales cycles and processes for enterprise software
- your background writing, marketing or building developer products
- your familiarity with documentation set-ups made by developers, for developers (versioning through git, writing in markdown,…)
First, we will take the time to review your application and we will get back to you within a week, regardless of our decision.
We know that your time is valuable so we work to move the process along quickly and keep it casual. We're not believers in "gotcha" questions or checking for skills you'll never actually use at GitBook.
Here's what our process will look like:
- Discovery call with Rocio (30 min - Head of Talent Acquisition) to ensure there is a correlation between GitBook's expectations, the role and your own expectations.
- Meet with Asha (30min - interim VP of Marketing) to discuss about role specifics such as required skills, knowledge, abilities as well as working environment, day-to-day life
- Meet with [Engineering Team] to assess technical knowledge and confidence in presenting to and speaking with this audience (30min - Engineer)
- Dev Rel Case Study to assess written and verbal communication, planning and execution on community building and translating technical content to an audience
- The last discussion will be around cultural alignment. You will have the opportunity to meet with Samy (co-founder) and Sara (COO) to learn more about GitBook history, ambition and culture.
We joke internally that GitBook is the best kept secret. It's not always clear from the outside looking in that we're a great company, with a positive environment and fantastic team. As a People and Talent Manager you'll appreciate that over 90% of our team members report having a positive experience at GitBook. When asked how they describe our culture, this is what came up (in order of how frequently it was mentioned):
- Supportive, approachable and friendly peers. Everyone is willing to help
- Flexibility, truly remote company. We can choose when and where we work
- Transparent. Open communication, feedback is listened to and actioned
- Safe space. It's ok to fail, we can ask any questions and there's no judement
- We care about people and treat them fairly
- Autonomy & trust by default
Of course we can always get better, and there are some things that you might find frustrating:
- We're still defining what success looks like for each person and this creates some confusion
- We need to create more opportunities to socialize and connect as people
- We're working on being more agile and iterating quicker
- We are (ironically) not great at documentation
The great news is that optimizing our culture is part of what you will help us do. You will see that every single team member is a value addition to our culture, and our company values are very present in our day to day:
- 🚀 Ambition (Aim higher)
- ✊ Ownership (Take control and Own it)
- 📈 Accountability (Be accountable to results)
- 🙋♀️ Care (Give a sh*t)
- 🏃♂️ Train (Grow yourself)
- 🤝 Genuine (Say it and accept it)
- 👯♂️ Team player (Leverage the team)
- 🏗 Architect (Plan & Build)