Head of Marketing
GitBook is a modern documentation platform. Our ambition is to empower technical teams by seamlessly integrating knowledge management into their existing asynchronous workflows. We're a fully remote who are building the future of work, inside and outside of our organization.
You will be joining during a pivotal moment for GitBook. We've enjoyed great success since we were founded, and now we're taking conscious steps to take our company to the next level.
That means you will have the opportunity to build, positively impact the trajectory of the company and enjoy the benefits of helping grow our company.
💼 Backed by top partners such as P9 Capital, Notion Capital and Fly VC
🗺️ Fully-remote team in over 14 countries across North America, Europe and Asia
GitBook has grown organically until now, and as we tackle our ambitious goals, we need a seasoned marketing leader to build the Marketing function and team from scratch, to achieve our two strategic pillars: take control of the top of the funnel and zero in on PLG.
You will develop our overall Marketing strategy to increase awareness, generate signups and drive acquisition of qualified leads globally. You will be responsible for all non-Product touchpoints our users have with GitBook as a company and as a brand, in open-source and as our users.
This is a green field opportunity for a hands-on, product driven leader. You'll report directly to Sara, our COO.
- Define the long-term PLG strategy based on a clear view of the our ICP and user needs, competitive landscape, adoption patterns, upsell and expansion opportunities
- Having a strong Marketing team in place who is ramped up and executing at high quality and speed
- Deep understanding of our product, ICP and company goals. You'll own and iterate on GitBook's positioning and brand
- Marketing strategy in place with a clear roadmap of how to get there. You'll know the key drivers of the business, and take responsibility for the overall success in the market
- Systems in place to derive insights from existing data, qualify leads and ensure there's pipeline health
- Lead communication for new product functionality, pricing and packaging updates
- With the team, design and execute end-to-end programs to generate signups and drive conversion, including Product marketing, content, education, events, partnerships, developer relations, SEO and activations with the community
- Set the vision and goals for the self-service business and lead the team to execute against the goals
- Enable the Sales team with collateral and the right knowledge to interact with our users
- Work closely with Product & Engineering to create a positive experience for our tech audiences
- Represent GitBook externally as a brand ambassador, and thought leader of knowledge management and PLG
- 10+ years of B2B SaaS marketing experience at a fast-growth tech company
- Deep expertise in PLG, with a track record of hitting aggressive growth goals leveraging a diverse set of channels and methods
- Your deep understanding of the dynamic between product, marketing, sales and customer success and the levers to pull to achieve goals
- Experience leading a remote, high performing team
- Your experience marketing to a tech audience
- Having strong verbal and written communication skills
- Being effective at defining what to focus on first, showing progress and iterating along the way
- Your collaboration skills with internal and external partners across multiple time zones
- Being data-driven and comfortable deriving insights from data to make decisions
- Driving results, demonstrate full ownership and keep yourself and your team accountable. You believe there's always a way and will do everything to find it
First, we will take the time to review your application and we will get back to you within a week, regardless of our decision.
We know that your time is valuable so we work to move the process along quickly and keep it casual. We're not believers in "gotcha" questions or checking for skills you'll never actually use at GitBook.
Here's what our process will look like:
- Discussion with the COO (60 min) to deep dive on your experience and skills
- Meeting with our CEO and interim Head of Marketing (60 min) to discuss your experience and technical skills
- Meeting with the Head of People and Head of Finance (60 min) to look for healthy cultural alignment
- Meet the Marketing team (60 min) to get to know each other
- Live deep dive session with our CEO and COO to address your questions and discuss how you would approach some of our goals and challenges
This process is not set in stone, we might add steps to the process as we go along, like a work sample. We will make sure to keep you posted!
We joke internally that GitBook is the best kept secret. It's not always clear from the outside looking in that we're a great company, with a positive environment and fantastic team. When asked how they describe our culture, this is what came up (in order of how frequently it was mentioned):
- Supportive, approachable and friendly peers. Everyone is willing to help
- Flexibility, truly remote company. We can choose when and where we work
- Transparent. Open communication, feedback is listened to and actioned
- Safe space. It's ok to fail, we can ask any questions and there's no judement
- We care about people and treat them fairly
- Autonomy & trust by default
Of course we can always get better, and there are some things that you might find frustrating:
- We're still defining what success looks like for each person and team, and this creates confusion
- We're working on being more agile and iterating quicker
- We need to create more opportunities to socialize and connect as people
- We are (ironically) not great at documentation
The great news is that we're continuously optimizing our culture and you will see that every single team member is a value addition to our culture, and our company values are very present in our day to day:
- 🚀 Bias towards impactful action
- 🙋♀️ Care (Give a sh*t)
- 🤝 Transparency
- 🏗 Keep it simple
Come make your mark on building the future of work with us.