Staff Software Engineer
GitBook is a modern documentation platform. Our ambition is to empower technical teams by seamlessly integrating knowledge management into their existing asynchronous workflows.
We're a fully remote team who are building the future of work and you will be joining during a pivotal moment for GitBook. We've enjoyed great success since we were founded, and now we're taking conscious steps to take our company to the next level. That means you will have the opportunity to build, positively impact the trajectory of the company and enjoy the benefits of helping grow our company.
Some things we’re proud of:
💼 Backed by top partners such as P9 Capital, Notion Capital and Fly VC
🗺️ Fully-remote team in over 14 countries across North America, Europe and Asia
- Building the backend for various user-facing features
- Scaling our service via architectural changes as well as infrastructure improvements
- Architecture and lead the work on building the future infrastructure of GitBook, switching from Firebase to a more efficient backend that will help GitBook scale in the coming years
- Build and scale our public API and integrations platform, empowering the community to extend the capacity of our service
- Improving observability, monitoring, and alerting for our service so that we can better respond to operational incidents
- Mentor and a growing squad of backend engineers
- Redefining best-in-class software development processes so that we can build an opinionated product
- Cloudflare (Workers, WAF, CDN, SSL for SaaS)
- Google Cloud (Cloud Run, etc)
- GitHub, Slack
Engineering works to continuously delivering value, focusing on shipping as a team. We use agile processes that work for us and experiment frequently. Our process runs on two week async "cycles" that emphasize leadership through ownership and operating in the open.
We leverage Kanban mechanisms that prioritize throughput, velocity, and impact to help us succeed in our mission to foster rewarding relationships between our product and our users. As a product focused organization, Engineering works in tandem with Product, Design, and Support to participate in crafting value throughout the entire product delivery process.
- Your product-oriented mindset You are driven by creating values for our users, and not solely by solving hard tech problems. You have experience owning a project from concept to production, with a focus on the end user and final impact. You approach engineering with an empathy driven mindset that keeps a broader context when executing.
- Your teamwork You understand that value is created and delivered to users. You help the team operate openly and transparently, elevating the quality of documentation and our rigour. You grow through experimentation and lead with compassion, improving the organization and your teammates.
- Your technical experience You have experience working with TypeScript, React, NodeJS, and serverless architecture.
- Your engineering skills You have a solid understanding of how web applications are built and delivered to users. You are comfortable with topics such as performance optimisation, data synchronisation, and caching. Your experience in application monitoring and debugging will also be valued and it will be an added plus if you have experience with server-less infrastructure
First, we will take the time to review your application, and we will get back to you within a week, regardless of our decision. We know that your time is valuable so we work to move the process along quickly and keep it casual. We're not believers in "gotcha" questions or checking for skills you'll never actually use as an engineer at GitBook.Here's what our process will look like:
- 1.Discovery Call (30 min) with our Talent Acquisition Manager to look for healthy alignment
- 2.Technical interview (60 min) with members of the engineering team to learn more about projects you've built and challenges you've faced building them.
- 3.Technical interview (60 min) with Samy, our CTO, to learn more about your experience and technical skills
You will be joining during a pivotal moment for GitBook. We've enjoyed great success since we were founded, and now we're taking conscious steps to take our company to the next level. That means you will have the opportunity to build, positively impact the trajectory of the company and enjoy the benefits of helping grow our company 20x. Every single team member is a value addition to our culture, so it's important for us to state our company values:
- 🚀 Bias towards impactful action
- 🙋♀️ Care (Give a sh*t)
- 🤝 Transparency
- 🏗 Keep it simple
Come make your mark on building the future of work with us!